How do I synchronise my single Debian Linux desktop clock to network?November 15, 2010 by: upa_kid
You will find lots of tutorials about how to setup NTP server. However if you just wanna synchronize single Linux desktop connected via A/DSL Internet connection use ntpdate command. It is very easy to configure and install ntp client. Following instructions are only compatible with Debian / Ubuntu Linux.
ntpdate sets the local date and time by polling the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server(s) given as the server arguments to determine the correct time. It must be run as root on the local host. A number of samples are obtained from each of the servers specified and a subset of the NTP clock filter and selection algorithms are applied to select the best of these. Note that the accuracy and reliability of ntpdate depends on the number of servers, the number of polls each time it is run and the interval between runs.
Install ntpdate utility
ntpdate command sets the local date and time by polling the Network Time Protocol (NTP) server(s).
# apt-get install ntpdate
You are done by default /etc/default/ntpdate file is use to point pool.ntp.org server .
Allow access to NTP client via Iptables firewall
NTP client uses the udp port 123 to communicate with NTP server. Following rule opens/allows NTP client outgoing request:
# NTP outgoing client request
iptables -A output -p udp -s 192.168.1.1 –sport 1024:65535 -d 0/0 –dport 123 -m state –state NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A input -p udp -s 0/0 –sport 123 -d 192.168.1.1 –dport 1024:65535 -m state –state ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
Add above rules to your existing iptables script. Please note if you have more than 2-3 computers, then it is better idea to setup your own NTP server. I will write on ntpserver configuration later on.
For more information visit public ntp time server for everyone NTP pool website and read ntpdate man page.Have you found this script useful? Please support author by PayPal donation.
- Linux Iptables block or open DNS / bind service port 53
- Linux: Iptables # 20 Allow ORACLE server incoming request?
- Linux Iptables: Block All Incoming Traffic But Allow SSH
- Linux: Iptables # 11 How to Block or open http/web service
- Linux: Iptables Allow MYSQL server incoming request on port 3306
- Linux: Iptables Allow POP3 (open port 110) Server Requests
- Linux Iptables: How to block or open mail server / SMTP protocol
- Connecting Linux or UNIX system to Network attached storage device
- How do I use Iptables connection tracking feature?
- How do I build a Simple Linux Firewall for DSL/Dial-up connection?