Internet connection is very slow on Karmic Koala-Solution-November 16, 2010 by: upa_kid
One of the big bugs (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/433972) on Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic koala is the slow internet connection, i have a connection of 25Mo/s and even that it take too long to load a page, at the begining i tought that was something wrong with my router or with my wireless card untill i discovered that is a known bug in karmic koala and there are many people fronting th same problem as me. I found a solution somewhere, and has worked for me for the moment. Please try it and report if worked for you also.
1. Right-click on ‘Network Icon’ (located at top-right panel by default) and click on ‘Edit Connections’ to open Network Connections Manager.
Network Manager :
2. Choose the type of connection you have. For this example, in my case “Wireless”, select the connexion (My case Auto unixmen) and click Edit
3- Inside editing ” auto unixmen wireless” click on ‘IPv4 Settings’ tab.
4. Under ‘IPv4 Settings’, change the ‘Method’ to Automatic (DHCP) addresses only.
6. Put these nameserver addresses as your ‘DNS Servers’: 220.127.116.11, 18.104.22.168
7. Click ‘OK’ and reboot your machine. You can then visit http://welcome.opendns.com to confirm you are using OpenDNS. (Need registration)
To avoid having your settings get revoked after reboots, or after periods of inactivity you may need to make the following changes via the command line:
$ sudo cp /etc/resolv.conf /etc/resolv.conf.auto
$ gksudo gedit /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf
# append the following line to the document
prepend domain-name-servers 22.214.171.124,126.96.36.199;
# save and exit
$ sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo ifup eth0
You may be required to change eth0 to your own network device’s name if it uses a non-standard name.
- Upgrade to Openoffice.org 3.2 final in Ubuntu karmic koala via PPA launchpad
- Resolve nosound problem on Ubuntu 9.10 karmic koala and ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx
- Configure Ubuntu 9.10 behind a proxy
- Connecting GPRS From Ubuntu Gutsy
- Howto: Ubuntu Linux convert DHCP network configuration to static IP configuration
- Great themes for Ubuntu9.10 Karmic koala
- Install – upgrade to Firefox 3.6 final from repository on Ubuntu9.10 karmic |Opensuse11.2
- Burg- Advanced menu for Grub2
- Allowing user to run root commands
- Dansguardian Content Filtering With Transparent Proxy On Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic